Wednesday 9 July 2008

Spaces

When a friend set up her blog the other day, it prompted me to think about my presence in blogland. I write fairly regularly over at livejournal safe in the knowledge that my posts there are "friends only" and so (in theory at least) I know who's reading them. Over on LJ, I talk about The Personal. And while I enjoy writing about that and discussing life with my LJ friends, I'd be horrified to think such posts would be accessible if someone were to google me. Being nosy myself, I know how tempting it is to search for a new student or teacher or colleague on the interweb.

But there are things that I would like to write in another space.

I recently resurrected a nice pink LindyB place as a knitting blog but even I'm aware that there is only so much one can say about a pinwheel sweater. Sample posts tend to say 'look! here's a picture of a cardigan/hat/bag/poodle; I've just knitted it. Snaps to me!' Other knitters may share my joy at wool-related creation but that space was originally (over 3 years ago now) somewhere I used (pretentiously) to ramble about academic things. And the mixture of baby surprise jackets and PhD reflections is a step into eccentricity too far, even for me.

Perhaps... if I have yet another online place to go, I may think of something interesting to say.
Perhaps
Perhaps
Perhaps

No comments: